One Sweet World

Not so important posts about a married couple living in Baltimore.

Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

Friday, December 16, 2005

"The Island at the Center of the World"

It has taken me a while but I finished reading "The Island at the Center of the World" by Russell Shorto. This was an amazing look at the first European (Dutch) settlement on the Island of Manhattan and how it started, grew and was eventually taken over by the English. Since American colonial history has always been taught from the English colonists perspective it was refreshing to read another side of the story. I really enjoyed the flowing story telling nature of this book. It definitely reads like a novel and it held my attention to the vary end. I applaud the researchers and translators of the Dutch records of early Manhattan.

Up Next: I have no idea. It's the holidays, I'm busy and I haven't looked at my bookshelf recently. I'm sure there's something there that'll be interesting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home