One Sweet World

Not so important posts about a married couple living in Baltimore.

Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

Friday, October 28, 2005

"Rats: Observations on the History and Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants"

I recently finished reading "Rats" by Robert Sullivan. What an interesting topic to do research on, especially one that has such a social stigma attached to it. Honestly, who wants to hang out with rats all night? The author had a good point, anyone who lives/lived in a larger metropolitan city has a rat story. I know I have at least 3 that I can think of, each occurring in different cities. One in Portland, another in downtown Chicago and the third, in the alley behind my old apartment building in Forest Park. Rats are everywhere and the author does compare them to humans and how we do the same as them, just on a larger scale. We take over an area, feed on its' resources until they're all gone and move on to another location. Problem with rats is that their resources are always being replenished (our garbage).

I hadn't realized the money and effort that go into "pest control." Simply amazing. I really enjoyed this book and cant' wait to experience my next rat encounter!

Up Next: "The Island at the Center of the World: The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony That Shaped America" by Russell Shorto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home